Thursday, May 28, 2009

Our little scare with LB

Last night we had a little scare with LB. He was having some severe abdominal pain. He was active and fine the whole day?!?! At supper time he was holding his stomach and could not walk. The first thing that came to my mind was appendicitis. After doing a five minute google search on the internet, off to the hospital we went. It seemed to take forever to get to the hospital which is only about five minutes away. I could feel every bump in the road as I sped through town.



We got checked in and we sat in the waiting room for about five minutes and LB seemed to be getting worse! I told the nurse we needed to get in NOW! She took us back where the Doctor "tried" to do an exam but LB was in too much pain...I am thinking he is going to need surgery....

He took some meds (codeine OMG)which did not seem to dull the pain it only made him sleepy and nauseous.



They decide he is going to need an IV! I am thinking oh great....needles and kids...He screamed as they were trying to get the IV in....it took the nurse four tries since his veins are so little...The nurse was awesome at calming LB down though. Once the morphine (double OMG) kicked in he was feeling better and we headed for x-rays.



The Dr. did not see anything unusual and since it came on so suddenly she did not think it was his appendix. She thought maybe twisted bowel. She did some more tests and some blood work which all came back normal. The doctor is thinking it is a blockage in his bowel. So I am hanging out with LB eating prunes and watermelon!!....and getting in some extra snuggle time.



I am impressed with the level of care that LB received and I am thankful we live in a country with access to such awesome health care. The doctor was truly amazing. ☺

3 comments:

  1. That sure sounds like a scary evening. I sure hope LB is back to his happy self soon :) Give him an extra hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for LB Tina!!
    And for you too-- being a mom is so scarey at times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is fine...bowel obstruction. He ate a whole lot of watermelon and that did the trick. He "holds" it at school so I think that is part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete